amanda platter résumé
Download this résumé: Adobe® Acrobat® PDF
file or Microsoft® Word
||To obtain a full-time or contract position that challenges my diverse skills in technical communication and information design.
|summary of qualifications
- Copywriting, desktop publishing, editing
- Graphics creation (hazard, shipping, and membrane labels;
- Information architecture, information planning, information
- Presentations and software training
- Marketing and advertising assistance
- Online help (WinHelp, WebHelp, HTML Help)
- Requirements management, defect tracking, version control
- Usability testing
- User interface design/labeling
- Turn-key technical publication solutions
- Web design and development
- Working within international and federal regulations
FDA, IEC, UL, others
- Working within style guides: Chicago Manual of Style, Microsoft
Manual of Style for Technical Publications, proprietary,
12/2000 Southwest Missouri State University; Springfield, MO, USA; www.smsu.edu
GPA: 4.0, Summa Cum Laude
||BS Professional Writing
12/1998 Southwest Missouri State University; Springfield, MO, USA; www.smsu.edu
Minors: Computer Information Systems, Creative Writing
GPA: 3.70, Cum Laude
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
4/2005 – 3/2006; Kansas City, MO; www.saic.com
Provided contract technical publication solutions to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Recent project:
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Risk Management Agency (RMA)
Compass-IT Consulting, LLC
4/2005 – 3/2006; Kansas City, MO
SAIC was contracted to USDA RMA to create a new database system and all of its interfaces for every area of the agency. My position allowed me to provide the following assistance:
- Writing, editing, publishing, and distributing all white papers, diagrams, project deliverables, presentations, project specification documentation (for each project phase), user documentation, and training materials.
- Developing and managing templates and style guides for all documentation.
- Developing, managing, administrating, and maintaining Team Web Site, including all documentation control, Web pages, workspaces, calendar items, issues logs, discussion groups, and user permissions. Assisting and training team members in using Team Site as needed.
- Overseeing and providing direction to a junior technical writer.
- Designing, creating, publishing, and distributing a project newsletter for each project milestone.
- Assisting with creating and distributing external communications, notices, and memorandums.
- Assisting analysts with developing project specifications.
9/2004 – 12/2005; Overland Park, KS; www.compassit.com
Provided contract technical publication solutions. Recent
9/2004 – 1/2005; Kansas City, MO
IBM was contracted to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to oversee their transition to a RUP-based system development life cycle. My contract provided the following services at the USDA location in Kansas City, MO:
- Formatted, edited, and proofread templates, review records, action plans, and score sheets to be used by the quality control review team.
- Formatted and proofread RUP-based templates to be used by system development teams.
- Formatted and proofread quality control reviews of system development artifacts.
- Developed and edited presentations, spreadsheets, flowcharts, and process artifacts to document the quality control review process.
- Developed and edited an Intranet Web site.
- Developed and assisted maintenance of a "dashboard" spreadsheet of projects and their quality review progress.
1/1998 – Present; Kansas City, MO; www.technicalscribe.net
Provide contract technical writing, editing, proofreading, desktop publishing, Web design, and turn-key technical publication solutions. Recent/current contracts include:
RBC Product Development
Southwest Missouri State University (SMSU)
10/2001 – 12/2004; Lenexa, KS; www.rbccorp.com
RBC Product Development is a turn-key product development company specializing in electronic medical devices. My services included:
- Writing online help guides, user manuals, and standard operating procedures for medical, electronic, and industrial software and hardware devices.
- Preparing and writing manufacturing instructions for medical, electronic, and industrial hardware devices.
- Developing and maintaining internal documentation for Intranet applications and employee manuals, including policy and procedure manuals.
- Contributing to user interface designs and usability concerns for in-house software. Assisting graphic design of hardware interfaces, including electronic medical device membrane labels.
- Preparing graphics for shipping labels and international/federal standard device labeling.
- Implementing and assisting design and maintenance of multiple corporate and product Web sites.
- Editing and assisting the writing of monthly white papers and e-newsletter.
- Assisting development of implementation strategies and documentation capturing technical publication project requirements and timelines.
- Assisting the writing and editing of promotional materials, including brochures, ad slicks, postcard campaigns, and fax blasts.
- Writing and assisting development of style guides for all internal and external documentation and literature.
- Instructing co-workers on use of Microsoft Office and multiple Adobe products.
Content Specialist/Information Designer
5/2001 – 8/2001; Lincoln, NE; www.iUniverse.com
- Assisted in client relations by capturing expectations for content usability, and developed implementation strategies to reflect expectations.
- Developed procedures for re-purposing content of client files.
- Analyzed client source files for structure and conversion into XML markup.
- Captured baseline requirements and generated design specifications for converting client source files from XML to multiple formats, including LIT, PDF, HTML, and print-on-demand.
- Assisted development of client engagement and vendor assessment procedures, and developed and maintained internal and external documentation regarding these procedures.
3/1996 – 12/2000; Springfield, MO; www.smsu.edu
Computer Services Technical Trainer Assistant
4/1997 – 12/2000; Springfield, MO; computerservices.smsu.edu
Disability Support Services
- Wrote, edited, designed, and maintained documentation (manuals, short documents, flyers, and pamphlets) and Web pages.
- Established a documentation style guide based on the Chicago Manual of Style and informal usability testing. Designed and edited Computer Services newsletter.
- Documented SMSU computer-related policies.
- Developed and documented a service level agreement between university information technology support specialists and faculty/staff members.
- Edited and maintained a database of documentation, including complex queries and reports. Provided technical assistance to faculty/staff members.
- Supervised 2–3 student workers
- Aided Technical Trainer as needed.
Assistive Technology Lab Assistant Supervisor
3/1996 – 12/1998; Springfield, MO
- Maintained computer lab for students with disabilities, supervised 2–4 student workers.
- Wrote procedural documentation for using equipment.
- Trained lab patrons and faculty/staff members to use assistive technology equipment.
- Developed an assistive technology lab Web site.
- Embossed documents in Braille for SMSU students and faculty/staff members as needed.
|affiliations and awards
Society for Technical Communication
12/2000 – Present, Member
VegKC.com 9/2005 – Present, Co-Founder, Writer
National Writer's Union 6/2004 – Present, Member
International Institute for Information Design 5/2004
– Present, Member
SIGDOC (Association for Computing Machinery’s Special
Interest Group for Design of Communications 6/2004 – Present,
Institute for Information Architecture 6/2004 – Present,
Who’s Who Among American Universities and Colleges 8/1997 – 5/1998,
Society for Technical Communication at SMSU 8/1997 – 8/1998, Vice
President, Web Designer
Golden Key National Honor Society 8/1996 – Present, Member
Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society 8/1995 – Present, Member
Association of Computing Machinists 11/1998 – 12/2000, Member
Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe InDesign, Adobe PageMaker, Microsoft Publisher
, Quark XPress
Adobe Illustrator, Adobe ImageReady, Adobe ImageStyler, Adobe PhotoDeluxe,
Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw, Corel Photo-Paint, FreeHand, Image Composer,
Macromedia Flash, Paint Shop Pro
Macintosh; Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, MX, NT
||Web Page Design
Macromedia Dreamweaver, Microsoft FrontPage, PageMill, Microsoft Word,
WordPad, XML Spy, XML Writer
Corel WordPerfect, Microsoft Word
Adobe Acrobat, DocTrak Documents Management System, RoboHelp, Microsoft
Access, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Microsoft
Visual Basic (novice), RMTrak requirements management tool, SCM Source
Code Management for software version control, Visio